Skip to main content

Between the World and Me p. 76-100

The struggle to have control and possession of his body continues for Coates in this section of Between the World and Me. In his discussion of the various challenges of African-Americans face, Coates highlights police brutality. He shares a harrowing story of his friend's murder by the police. Although his friend had achieved tremendous success in his life, his success did not stop him from being racially profiled and murdered by an officer. Coates explained that he had little regard for the police officer, but had intense outrage toward society that continually perpetuated the fear of black men. 

As Coates described he experiences policy brutality, I found myself completely overwhelmed by the harsh reality in which he lived. Coates stated that black people need to work twice as hard, but even then, could still end up dead. The kind of inequality and fear Coates describes is completely foreign to me. I have never feared for my life when I've encountered the police, nor have I experienced the horror of friends being murdered. I have never had to be constantly on edge about my behavior in public in fear that I would somehow be perceived negatively. 

Coates fears and anger towards the societal treatment of black people have shown me how important it is for this country to bring about systematic change. As a society, we need to learn to condition ourselves to no longer fear black people nor listen to the harmful stereotypes that plague the media. We must work every day to fight against systematic and institutional racism and strive to find solutions that remediate relationships between black communities and the police. 

Comments

  1. I also found myself overwhelmed by the harsh reality in which Coates had to survive in. I'm glad that you pointed out that Coates stated that black people need to work twice as hard but even then. This is exactly what someone said from the panel and was very power to hear in person. I comply agree I have never feared for my life in a public setting like Coates. I honestly don't know how someone can still be metal stable while living such a cationic life. I can't even image looking over my shoulder all the time fearing for my life on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you said that we as a society need to work on not listening and acting on the stereotypes that we see in the media. The media has a very large influence on society and they do not always depict black people in the best way. It is a good challenge for us to not listen to those stereotypes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I know I've shared this saying before but I really believe it: Fear cannot survive proximity. When we are operating out of fear, it's often because we haven't had close or meaningful interactions with those we fear. It's hard not to like someone at least a little bit once you get to know them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Between the World and Me p.26-50

In this reading, Coates reflects on his experience with education in the United States. As a student, Coates found it difficult to thrive in a strict school system. Although passionate about reading and writing, Coates felt restricted and thought school was not representative of the life he lived on the streets. When Coates discovered Malcolm X and other prominent black figures throughout history during his time at Howard University, he began to discover the uncovered history of his people. Through reading about the history of his race, he started to find confidence and beauty in himself.  Coates' experiences with education are much different than my own. Aside from black history month, the majority of my education has focused on the history and achievements of white people. After reading Coates memoir, it became apparent to me that how we are taught in the United States white-washes history and minimizes the experiences of minorities. When Coates listed a variety of names of bl...

Between the World and Me p. 50-75

In this reading from Between the World and Me , Coates continues to search for his identity as a black man in the United States. As he continues to struggle with owning his body, Coates realizes that he himself had taken part in "plundering" the livelihoods of other minority groups. Coates writes, "But perhaps I too had the capacity for plunder, maybe I would taken another human's body to confirm myself in a community. Perhaps I already had. Hate gives identity." Coates finds himself in a situation where his stereotypes and treatment of the LGBT+ community confronts him. As he begins to fall in love with a woman whose identity lies within the LGBT+ community, he understands his previous ignorant and hateful behavior. He states that his hatred "illuminates the dream of being white, of being a man." Coates realization of his own hatred towards a minority group, though he himself identifies as a minority, illuminates the deep complexity of prejudice. Co...